Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
A light and fluffy low-fat mousse. A fresh-tasting healthy dessert on a warm day. From "Great Good Food". Cook time includes time for chilling.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries with orange juice and lemon juice until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In blender or food processor, puree cottage cheese and yogurt until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Put water in small saucepan.
- Stir in gelatin; let stand for 1 minute.
- Dissolve over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar.
- Cook and stir until sugar has completely dissolved and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Place in a large bowl; whisk until just warm to the touch.
- Do not allow it to jell.
- Slowly whisk strawberry puree and yogurt-cottage cheese puree into the gelatin mixture.
- Place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes, or until quite thick but not set.
- Whisk occasionally so that lumps don't form.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 T.
- sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg white into strawberry-gelatin mixture, blending thoroughly.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or to 4 individual serving bowls.
- Chill for at least 8 hours before serving.
This desert is very light and tasty on a hot day. I served it in an individual, glass, footed dish with a half a strawberry set on top at a jaunty angle. I followed the directions as written.
This was made as given, & we had a great tasting, refreshing dessert! Definitely worth making again, & another time I might just add a bit of sliced strawberries on top! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe! [made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]