Recipe by Lainey39
Fat-free half-and-half gives these potatoes the same silky texture you'd get with heavy cream but without the fat and cholesterol. Recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
Top Review by Annacia
What a great treat, mashed potatoes! I love the tiny bite sized Yukon Golds and always try to keep them in the house although I don't use them often. With this recipe I can enjoy them more often. I didn't use any margarine but mixed a wee bit of chicken base into the "cream". Very good flavor that I believe I could even sneak past DH without him knowing that that they are healthy. How cool is that! :D. Thanks so much Lainey.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart saucepan, combine potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling on high.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water; drain potatoes.
- Return potatoes to saucepan.
- Mash with margarine and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Gradually add warm half-and-half, continuing to mash potatoes until smooth and well blended; add reserved cooking water if necessary.
- Transfer to serving dish.