Fat-free half-and-half gives these potatoes the same silky texture you'd get with heavy cream but without the fat and cholesterol. Recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
- In 4-quart saucepan, combine potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling on high.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water; drain potatoes.
- Return potatoes to saucepan.
- Mash with margarine and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Gradually add warm half-and-half, continuing to mash potatoes until smooth and well blended; add reserved cooking water if necessary.
- Transfer to serving dish.