Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A recipe I got from Diabetes Forecast, November 2007. A light, healthy way to enjoy a "creamed" soup. Bon appetit!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large 8-quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Add broth, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the carrot mixture in batches. Return to the pot and warm over low heat. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Swirl in the yogurt and top with pistachios just before serving.
Great soup! The spices made it especially interesting. The addition of the chopped pistachios made a nice contrast to the creaminess of the soup. We'll be making this one again. Thanks Tiny Chef!