Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This tastes much better than it sounds. I've been on a diet for about 2 months, and find that this soup satisfies me when I get cravings for forbidden snacks! It originally appeared in Paulette Mitchell's "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup" cookbook, and was reprinted in a local periodical.
- 4 cups butter lettuce leaves, torn
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, steamed and torn
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped (do not use dehydrated here)
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups prepared vegetable stock (I use vegan, organic stock)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup red radish, cut into 1- x 1/8-inch matchstick strips
- 1⁄4 cup seeded cucumber, cut into 1- x-1/8 inch matchstick strips
- Puree all soup ingredients, except salt and pepper, in a blender until smooth. Season to taste.
- Refrigerate in a covered container until chilled, at least 3 hours, before serving. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
- Meanwhile, to make the salsa, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the radish and cucumber strips. Refrigerate in a covered container.
- Serve soup in shallow bowls with a mound of the salsa spooned atop each serving.