Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is low in fat and high in protein and fiber, seasoned with lovage adding it flavor of anise and celery and helps reduce flatulence or colic by expelling gas.
- 1⁄2 small chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces whole green lentils, Rinse, strained and sort through, removing debris
- 1⁄2 cup chopped lovage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- orange zest
- 3 -4 cups water
- Sautee the chopped onions and garlic in the oil till soften but do not brown. Stir in the lentils.
- Add the chopped lovage, thyme, one strip on orange zest and water to covered by an inch. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium, cover and simmer until tender.
- Remove the lentil mixture with a slotted spoon if any liquid is left. Reduce the liquid in the pan, while adding a little more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the lentil mixture. Or just drizzle lentils with loive oil and season with salt and pepper.
These lentils are awesome!!! The addition of lovage, thyme and orange zest is amazing and really makes these lentils special--we love them! Made with lovage and fresh thyme from my garden, simmered for about 30 minutes, and served with brown rice for a complete protein. Made for your Magic of Herbs tag event in the photos forum. Thanks Rita!