Recipe by rpgaymer
I LOVE lentils. I eat them at least once a week. I also love capers and anchovies, so I came up with this. Lentils also taste delicious with an egg on top- especially one with a runny yolk. Don't let the anchovies scare you, as they're just there to flavor the lentils and their strong flavor will dissipate as you cook.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8-12 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 354.88 ml brown lentils
- 709.77 ml vegetable stock or 709.77 ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- 22.18 ml capers, drained
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion & garlic in olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and anchovies, and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add lentils and stir well. Add stock/water, bay leaf, capers, and cloves. Cover, lower heat, and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Just before lentils are done, melt butter in a separate pan, then crack the eggs into it and cook until whites are firm and yolks are runny, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the lentils are done, add salt and pepper if you wish. Serve lentils with fried egg on top.