Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A versatile, hearty stew that can be served alone or over rice or spaghetti. Can also be made into a chili.
- 2 cups lentils (picked over and rinsed)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 large bell pepper (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom (chopped)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken bouillon
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Saute onions and peppers till onions are slightly browned. Add garlic.
- Add lentils, water and seasonings.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer uncovered for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- (You can make this a chili by adding ground beef, chili powder and hot peppers.).