Recipe by NELady
From Safeway Brand Lentils package: "Our tasters gave four-stars to this nutritious and easy to prepare entree. Smokey sausage, lots of spices and fresh greens give it wonderful flavor". I have made this stew a couple of times, each to success. I usually use what I have in the pantry, so it never - comes out exactly the same. I am posting the recipe as written - make adjustments for your own preferences.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage, sliced
- 1 lb lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 lb fresh kale, stems trimmed, leaves choppped (about 8 cups, Could use spinach)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 to 8 quart pot of Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions, garlic and carrots until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage, lentils, broth, sage, thyme, pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are barely tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in kale or spinach.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls.