Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My spin on GMA's call for a super slow-cooker recipe. After hundreds of viewers e-mailed their super slow-cooker recipes, this was one of the winners. Tastes even better the second day. Fill a thermos...good for workday or school lunch.
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (I prefer to microwave in a micro-safe container for a minute or so to soften)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water or 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper
Last Minutes Add Ins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch kale, washed de-stemmed and chopped
- Put ingredients (carrots through black pepper) in the slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low and cook for about 6-8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, add the balsamic vinegar and chopped kale.