Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Coup de Pouce. Posted for ZWT - NA*ME
Make and share this Lentil Soup With Bacon recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, brown the bacon. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and carrots, cook 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, chicken broth and bay leaf.
- Let simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add the bacon, cumin and parsley.
Really very yummy and filling. I'm so glad that I chose to try this easy and it fills the house with a wonderful aroma.
This is very hearty and easy to make. I found French green lentils, and they were green through most of the cooking, but came out brown when done, but were still delicious! I might up the amount of cumin, though, since we really like the flavor of it.
A great soup for sure. I didn't have quite enough green lentils when making the soup, so made it up with brown ones. I also gently dry roasted the cumin to release the flavour before adding it to the soup. Personally I think it would be just as easy to add it to the onion mixture towards the end of their cooking time. The bacon adds a nice flavour and I will definitely be making it again. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap April 2011