Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious and easy soup that is ready in less than an hour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb dried lentils (approx. 1 1/4 cups)
- 11 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 -6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2⁄3 cup dried elbow macaroni
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes bread down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the thyme springs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Easy, Fast and delicious. Thanks for such a family friendly recipe.