Cook1 hr 25 mins
This nutritional soup recipe, which is typical of North Africa & the Middle East, was found on the internet & slightly tweaked.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced low-sodium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pot, saute onions, garlic & ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, lentils, garbanzo beans, cannelloni beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne pepper & cumin.
- Bring to boil, then boil for several minutes before reducing heat.
- Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until lentils are soft.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender, then return pureed portion to the pot, stirring all together.
- Serve & enjoy.