Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This nutritional soup recipe, which is typical of North Africa & the Middle East, was found on the internet & slightly tweaked.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced low-sodium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pot, saute onions, garlic & ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, lentils, garbanzo beans, cannelloni beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne pepper & cumin.
- Bring to boil, then boil for several minutes before reducing heat.
- Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until lentils are soft.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender, then return pureed portion to the pot, stirring all together.
- Serve & enjoy.
I followed the recipe besides adding extra garlic and ginger. I found that I had to add quite a bit of salt and pepper as well as juice from one lemon to up the flavour which I initially found quite bland. I am not sure why I got such a different result than the other reviewers. I would definitely suggest use of broth instead of water.
This great tasting Lentil Soup was an absolute hit at our house! Other than using some soup stock along with the water made as posted with wonderful results. (did go a touch easy with the cinnamon and cloves) The aroma alone was worth a five. We really enjoyed this soup and can vouch that it is very freezer friendly. Definitely in my Soup Cookbook. A recipenap for the Auz/NZ Swap.
This was a very easy soup to make. My DD said it tastes like Christmas. I might add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste when I make this again just to give it more of a red color to the soup. I used an Immersion Blender to puree the soup. Thank you for posting this tasty recipe. Made for *Gimme 5 Game* 2009