Chickpea Appetizer (Hummus Habb)
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. From Palestine and Jordan regions.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped to garnish or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, to garnish
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients except the mint; then place in a serving bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, garnish with mint.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I just have to say I've never tried hummus before, but now I know what all the fuss is about. Even my picky DH ate this. Well I made him taste it before I told him what was in it :) But he ate it willingly after the fact too. I made it just as stated, except I did not use mint. I used parsley cause that is what I had. I also only used 2 T of olive oil. The recipe doesn't state to, but I put all the ingredients in my food processor and blended till smooth. It was perfect.Reply
see 2 more