Turkish Pilaf With Vermicelli (Sehriyeli Pilav)
Posting for ZWT6 North Africa/Middle East region. From www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com If using Vermicelli break into 2 inch pieces.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons vermicelli or 2 tablespoons orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups hot water (explained below) or 1 1/2-2 cups chicken stock (explained below)
- also you can add 1 cube of chicken bouillon to hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash the rice several times with warm water and drain. Cover the rice with warm water and leave it for 15-20 minutes and drain. If you do not have time for this, just wash the rice and then drain.
- Place the butter and oil in a saucepan or pot and add the vermicelli or orzo. Over low-heat, fry until their color starts changing to golden brown. Do not over fry, take the pot from the stove as soon as you see the golden brown color and add the rice. Then, again place the pot on the stove and stir for 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Finally, add the hot chicken stock / water (If you leave the rice in water before cooking, use 1 ½ cup hot water otherwise use 2 cups). Add the salt and close the lid and cook over low heat, until the rice absorbs all the water. Meanwhile you can stir once or twice.
- Let the pilaf stand for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Pilaf goes well with any kind of dish.
- P.S: You can also add 1 tsp of lemon juice with the water, to make the pilaf shine.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation