Recipe by bggio
This is a great soothing soup for cold winters with hints of ginger and lemon.
Top Review by agnice9_5952464
Excellent, I had no celery, I did not presoak the lentils.Just started out with the 2c. and added four cups of organic vegbroth
and cooked a little longer. I doubled up on the ginger and lemon peel which we feel took it over the top! Thanks
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup green lentil
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 carrots, stalks chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, large chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 6 slices lemon rind, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 cup red wine or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Presoak lentil 2 hours and rinse.
- Bring to boil water and add lentil and cook vigorously for 10 minutes; drain and rinse.
- Bring to boil the 3 cups of water and reduce to medium and add the lentil; start to cook for 15 minutes add stock and cook further.
- In a fry pan heat olive oil and add all spices and vegetable (except tomato and lemon rind) and cook on high for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan; add tomatoes and lemon rind.
- Once tomatoes soften, combine the mixture with the now boiling lentil and stock and cook until lentil reaches its desired tenderness.
- Note if you wish to make this vegan use the vegetable broth.