Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
No meat, no tomatoes, very different.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- sour cream or Mexican crema
- chopped fresh tomato
- chopped green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first 15 ingredients in a slow cooker; cover and cook on LOW, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 6-8 hours.
- During the last hour, add the olive oil and season to taste with salt.
- Serve the chili in bowls with toppings.
As a meat lover, thought I would try, And now I know WHY! No meat, no tomatoes, tasty as can be! Thank you Nurse Di from hubby and me!!! I also slightly pureed it and think the flavours came out even more...was delightful...hope this helps