Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 58 mins
An easy meatless supper dish--very filling. I serve it with a simple green salad.
Make and share this Lentil and Feta Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 375 ml lentils, soaked overnight
- 60 g fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 100 g chopped hazelnuts
- 10 ml mild mustard, prepared
- 2 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 egg whites
- 6 -8 slices feta cheese
- 2 tomatoes, ripe and sliced
- 30 ml freshly chopped parsley
- 5 ml chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook lentils for about 30 minutes in water until tender.
- Drain and mix with the breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Heat 15 ml oil in a frying pan and sauté leeks and carrots until tender.
- Add to lentil mixture.
- Stir in the egg whites.
- Place into an ovenware dish, finishing with a layer of feta cheese.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top and sprinkle the remaining oil over them.
- Sprinkle the parsley and basil on top.
- Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove lid and bake for a further 3-8 minutes .
After I made and ate this last night I reread the recipe 25 times trying to figure out what I had done wrong. FRESH breadcrumbs! I used dried. I decided to wait and retaste today per rsarahl's comments. Sprinkled it w/ a little water, microwaved it and voila! Flavors meld and intensify w/ time. I will always serve it second day. It's very, very good.
Wow! Great dish! I've made this twice now and it is a family pleaser. The only thing I changed the second time around was this: instead of putting the feta on top of the casserole, I crumbled it and mixed it into the casserole. Also, the recipe is vague about the qty of feta, "6-8 slices"; I used 1/2 cup feta and had tasty results. Good leftovers as well(flavor is actually better 2nd day!)