Recipe by Norahs Girl
An easy meatless supper dish--very filling. I serve it with a simple green salad.
Top Review by sugarpea
After I made and ate this last night I reread the recipe 25 times trying to figure out what I had done wrong. FRESH breadcrumbs! I used dried. I decided to wait and retaste today per rsarahl's comments. Sprinkled it w/ a little water, microwaved it and voila! Flavors meld and intensify w/ time. I will always serve it second day. It's very, very good.
- 375 ml lentils, soaked overnight
- 60 g fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 100 g chopped hazelnuts
- 10 ml mild mustard, prepared
- 2 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 egg whites
- 6 -8 slices feta cheese
- 2 tomatoes, ripe and sliced
- 30 ml freshly chopped parsley
- 5 ml chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook lentils for about 30 minutes in water until tender.
- Drain and mix with the breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Heat 15 ml oil in a frying pan and sauté leeks and carrots until tender.
- Add to lentil mixture.
- Stir in the egg whites.
- Place into an ovenware dish, finishing with a layer of feta cheese.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top and sprinkle the remaining oil over them.
- Sprinkle the parsley and basil on top.
- Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove lid and bake for a further 3-8 minutes .