Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A rich, fiber filled, healthy vegetable soup that is great for Lent, or any time. I used Gayelord Hauser's Vegetable Broth mix and I love the richness is lends to the taste, but any vegetable broth with spices of your choice will be good.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 new potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- spices, of your choice
- In large stockpot add onions, celery and garlic to the olive oil and saute until just tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, garbanzo beans and blend while heating through.
- Add the remaining vegetables and seasonings and simmer until the vegetables are done and the flavors are well blended.
- Serve with a hearty bread, like pumpernickel.