Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
An amazing summer salad taken from the 4-star Napa Valley restaurant Redd.
- 1⁄2 lemon, plus
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 2-inch wide ribbons
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
- Fill a saucepan with water. Squeeze the lemon half into the water, then add it to the water along with the peppercorns and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and cook until curled and just pink, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the shrimp to a paper-lined plate and freeze until chilled, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, the grapeseed oil, the sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the romaine, tomatoes, avocado and shrimp and toss.
- Transfer to plates, garnish with chives and serve.
Reviewed for ZWT9- this was an enjoyable salad. I think it would make a nice starter on a hot summer's night and company worthy too .
Wonderful salad. I used regular tomatoes and since chives are not growing in my garden yet, I subbed the tops of some green onions. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag Game. :)