Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Food & Wine. I will use canned chickepeas when making this.
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved crosswise, plus
- 4 small celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 lb dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 rosemary sprigs, and
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, tied together with string
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped pepperoncini peppers
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a large soup pot, heat the pure olive oil. Add the quartered yellow onion, carrots and halved celery rib and cook over moderate heat,
- stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas, the herb sprig bundle and enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over moderately low until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add a large pinch of salt and pepper and cook the chickpeas for 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes, then drain the chickpeas.
- Discard the herb sprigs, onion, carrots and celery.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, soak the red onion in the vinegar for 15 minutes.
- Drain, discarding the vinegar. Return the onion to the bowl and add the diced celery, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, chopped rosemary, oregano and peperoncini.
- Add the chickpeas and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Fold in the parsley and serve.