Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. Mean Chef's quote on the recipe: "DBMNMR = Don't Blame Me, Not My Recipe", and therefore, I haven't felt badly about making a few changes. The original recipe had a much thicker graham cracker crust, and didn't really balance well with the delicate and refreshing lemon flavor of the bars. I have since adjusted those measurements for a thinner crust, and hope that you enjoy it.
For the Crust
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Filling
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, about
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Make in a 9 inch square pan.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter in a medium mixing bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to mix them together thoroughly.
- Scrape the mixture into the baking pan, and use your fingers to press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven to cool while you make the lemon filling.
- Keep the oven at temperature setting.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the granulated sugar.
- With the mixer on high speed, beat the mixture until it is light yellow and almost doubled in volume, about 3 minutes.
- Move the beaters around the bowl and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula several times while mixing.
- Add the baking powder and salt, and beat on low speed until just mixed, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the lemon zest and juice.
- Pour and scrape the filling into the crust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and wiggles only slightly when the pan is moved.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Place confectioners' sugar in a small sieve and sprinkle generously over the top of the cooled fining.
- Cut into 16 squares.
This was a terrible recipe. When it came out of the oven, it looked more like a creme brulee than a lemon bar. Also, the recipe didn't list a step for some of the ingredients. I only had my "bars" in the oven for 15 minutes before they turned bubbled and brown. Gross.
I made this recipe exactly except I used a pre made graham cracker crust came out great will make again