MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance. Adapted from Joy of Cooking.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, sufficient for top and bottom 9 inch crust (see Mean Chef's original $notetemplate1$)
- 2 lbs rhubarb, stalks unpeeled and cut into 1 inch lengths (5 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca or 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- milk or cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Roll half of the dough and fit into a 9-inch pie pan leaving a 3/4 inch overhang all around and refrigerate.
- roll the other half of dough into a 12-inch round and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put rhubarb into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, tapioca or cornstarch, zest and salt.
- Combine dry ingredients with rhubarb and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour rhubarb into bottom crust, dot with butter.
- Brush overhang with water, cover with top crust, seal edge and crimp or flute edges.
- Cut steam vents into top crust.
- Lightly brush top of pie with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake 25-35 minutes longer, until crust is browned and juices bubble through the vents.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION