I love lemon pudding cake and this recipe is excellent! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Finely grate 1 Tbsp zest from lemons, then squeeze 1/4 cup+ 2 Tbsp juice.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together yolks, milk, zest and juice in a small bowl and add to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks.
- Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Whisk about 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly (batter will be thin).
- Pour into buttered 1 1/2 qt ceramic gratin or other shallow baking dish and bake in a hot water bath until puffed and golden, 45-50 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Great. Exactly the recipe we all need, more for 4 people in my book though. Cheap, easy and fast, and tastes fantastic. My French husband thinks this is the top of the top, and wants me to make it for his inlaws, which I will do. Great recipe!
YUM! I didn't have a gratin pan so I baked this in a 9X9 glass pyrex dish and it worked fine. The top layer is very light and fluffy, almost souffle like and the bottom is a nice lemon pudding. This household voted 2 liked it 2 didn't but I think for the 2 who didn't it was the texture - it not really cake-like. I personally loved it and give it a 5 star.
So light and delicious , I beat the egg whites first with the clean beaters, then beat the cake batter with the same beaters .my husband couldn't stay away from it ! When I make it for company , I'll serve it in goblets and stick a few rolled cookies in it :).