I love lemon pudding cake and this recipe is excellent! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Finely grate 1 Tbsp zest from lemons, then squeeze 1/4 cup+ 2 Tbsp juice.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together yolks, milk, zest and juice in a small bowl and add to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks.
- Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Whisk about 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly (batter will be thin).
- Pour into buttered 1 1/2 qt ceramic gratin or other shallow baking dish and bake in a hot water bath until puffed and golden, 45-50 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.