Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Lightly oil (or spray with a light mist of oil) a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, zest, baking soda, and salt, and set aside In small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the water, lemon juice, oil, and vinegar Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended Add the poppyseeds and whisk well to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean Cut into 12 pieces before serving.
This was okay. The texture was right (which is a pretty big feat in vegan baking), but the quantity of baking soda gave the cake a "soapy" taste (as baking soda is wont to do). I made the recipe exactly as written, and I appreciated the clear, accurate instructions. We probably won't make this again unless I can come up with a way of reducing the baking soda or better masking its flavor; maybe increasing the lemon flavor would help. Thanks for the attempt, Seebee.
What a wonderfully moist and luscious cake! I needed a cake recipe that was non-dairy, non-chocolate, and non-nutty, because I was having a party with friends who have a whole slew of food allergies, and it was one friend's 37th birthday. So I used your lemon cake recipe, and it was well-loved. I did alter it slightly. First, I didn't put the poppyseeds in - yup, someone's allergic to that too! - and I substituted some marmalade instead. I also made a glaze out of 2 cups powdered sugar, 6 tbs lemon juice, plus some store-bought cake decorations. I used fresh lemons for the recipe. My friend whose birthday it was - he was really happy with his cake!