Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These muffins are light, fluffy, and yet healthy! They taste very good with any meal. My whole family adores them!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup applesauce (from a package of 6)
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract (or zest)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (I lessen it by a little)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk (sometimes you may need a trickle more)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Cream butter, applesauce, extract, and sugar. Add in eggs. Mix well. Then, stir in the poppy seeds. Next, add salt and baking powder. Then put in the flour one cup at a time, alternating with milk.
- tip: Some people like their muffins VERY lemony. I do not, so I only put in one tbs. You can put in more for a more lemony muffin.
- Fill muffins about 3/4 full. If you make a little smaller of muffins, you get way more!
We enjoyed these - I made them with a whole wheat/whole wheat pastry flour mix. It was a bit too 'wheaty' tasting. It would be better with either just whole wheat pastry flour or white flour. I used 1 1/2 T of lemon zest and still thought I needed more. I decided to add a glaze to increase the lemony taste (we like lemon). I got a very simple recipe from the 'Joy of Cooking' cookbook. The recipe is 1 part lemon juice mixed with 1 part sugar. I glazed them about 5 minutes before they were done. After they tested done with a toothpick, I put them under the broiler to brown them. they are best with some of the leftover glaze spread on top.