Recipe by Whisper
You'll love the very lemony taste of these moist muffins. They work just as well without the poppy seeds, but I like the crunch that they add. From the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
Top Review by Pardeemom
These muffins were good, but not exactly the taste I was looking for. I did use 1 T. oil and 1 T. applesauce to reduce fat and calories. I also didn't have lemon extract and used some lemon juice. I did like the crunchiness of the outside of the muffin, that was nice. I'm just looking for a more lemony flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly oil 8 muffin cups or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Add to dry mixture, mixing just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Divide mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins to a rack to cool.