Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
You'll love the very lemony taste of these moist muffins. They work just as well without the poppy seeds, but I like the crunch that they add. From the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly oil 8 muffin cups or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Add to dry mixture, mixing just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Divide mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins to a rack to cool.
These muffins were good, but not exactly the taste I was looking for. I did use 1 T. oil and 1 T. applesauce to reduce fat and calories. I also didn't have lemon extract and used some lemon juice. I did like the crunchiness of the outside of the muffin, that was nice. I'm just looking for a more lemony flavor.
These have a great texture for a low fat muffin - light and not rubbery, but I didn't feel the lemon flavor came through enough, so I made them again and decreased the yoghurt a bit and put in the juice of a whole lemon - they were fine, but still not WOW. I may play with it more later.
These muffins were delcious! They were chewy and had a great lemon taste to them! I increased the sugar by 2 more tbsp and I think I would keep it that way if I were to make the recipe again! The cooking time was exact and I followed the directions exctly! Thanks for the recipe!