- 5 eggs
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 113.39 g butter, melted and cooled
- 236.59 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml lemon zest (optional, if you want a smooth custard, don't add this)
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 1 sprig of fresh mint (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs and sugar until pale, about 5 minutes.
- Beat butter into sugar mixture in a thin stream.
- Add lemon juice.
- Pour into top of double-boiler.
- Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Add lemon zest (but not if you want a smooth custard).
- Transfer custard to a medium bowl, place piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate atleast two hours.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold into chilled custard.
- Serve in stemmed glasses, garnished with mint.