Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
This pie is magical! I think the secret is the lemon juice and lemon zest, or maybe it's the flaky crust. The pie crust makes two shells, I save the second shell for a quiche, or freeze it for another pie at some later date. One of my best friends always wants me to make this when she has covered dish parties, or we invite them to dinner. The recipe is adapted from a wonderful cookbook, Twelve Company Dinners, that my father gave to me Christmas, 1964. I have posted a separate recipe of the Perfect Pie Crust for anyone who needs more detailed instruction and more pictures. For the best pie, be sure to remove filling from the heat before you stir in the lemon juice and butter and spread the meringue while the filling is hot! Be sure to add 3 to 6 hours for cooling. Time includes firming up time. If no Pie Mix: 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 tablespoons corn starch 3 tablespoons flour dash salt 1 1/2 cups water 3 egg yolks the same butter, lemon rind, and juice.
For the Crust
- 473.18 ml flour (sifted)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml corn oil (Wesson)
- 59.14 ml milk (cold)
For the Filling
- 85.04 g package lemon pie filling mix (not the instant)
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 414.03 ml water
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml lemon zest
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 88.74 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift measured flour and salt into a bowl.
- Pour oil into glass measuring cup and add cold milk to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- Pour liquid into bowl and stir with a fork.
- Save half the dough to use later.
- Roll remaining half of dough into circle between two sheets of wax paper.
- Place into pie pan, make standing rim, and prick with fork.
- Bake in oven 450°F for 8- 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425°F.
- Mix filling mix with sugar in a saucepan (not double-boiler).
- Add egg yolks and stir again.
- Add water, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool. (this is when I zest and squeeze the lemon).
- Add butter, juice and zest.
- Let sit until meringue is ready.
- Put 5 tablespoons of the sugar into a measuring cup.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tarter until frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until whites start to stiffen. Gradually add remaining sugar while continuing to beat. Continue to beat until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- Spoon meringue over filling, making sure to seal the edges against the pie shell.
- Make peaks with spoon.
- Brown pie 5- 10 minutes to desired color.
- Cool pie on rack and avoid drafts.
- Allow 3-6 hours for pie to firm up!