Heavenly Pie ( Lemon Meringue Reversed)
This my Grandma used to make for my DAD! Found the recipe once she passed away. It's yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites, beaten till stiff not dry
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped
- Sift together 1 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- In a large grease-free mixing bowl beat the egg whites at a slow steady speed. When they are foamy gradually add the cream of tartar and sugar mixture. When the meringue begins to form soft peaks, increase to a moderate beating speed.
- Beat another 5 minutes, until the meringue is thick, but still glossy, and forms peaks when the beaters are lifted.
- Line a well greased 9 or 10 inch pie pan with meringue mixture to form a pie crust.
- Bake for 1 hour at 225 degrees.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar to egg yolks with lemon juice and zest, cook in double boiler (or Micro) until very thick about 8-10 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 whipped cream with Lemon egg mixture and fill meringue shell, chill 24 hours.
- Cover with remaining whipped cream.
- Serve AWAY!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was 17 the first time I tasted this pie and that was a long, long time ago (do I really have to mention the number of years!!!?) Anyway, I thought I had died and gone to heaven because I had only had lemon meringue pies before that. If you want to impress guests this is it. Suggest you do not try to make the meringue in humid weather.2Reply
Im diabetic so I substituted 3/4 splenda granular for the 1 cup of sugar in the meringue. I used 1/2 cup of splenda for the 1/2 cup sugar in the filling. Its been 24 hours and I just had my first taste after lunch. it turned out great and will make again and again when the sweet urge overtakes me. Thanks Rita, Ive also bookmarked the Diabetic blog.2Reply
see 13 more