Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
- 3 -4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 leaf thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Rinse chicken well and pat dry; remove any excess fat
- Place onion in the cavity of the chicken and rub skin with butter (or margarine)
- Place in crock pot
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the chicken and sprinkle with remaining seasonings
- Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours (HIGH 6 hours).
I made this chicken a couple of nights ago, and was disappointed at how dry it was. I cooked it on High for 6 hours. Maybe I will try a shorter cooking time when I try it again.
This was just okay. Taking the advice of some of the other reviews, I put the onions inside of the chicken and tossed the squeezed lemon in the pot too. Then I cooked the chicken on low for 10 hours. DH liked it, but I thought it had a bit of a funny flavor (maybe from the lemon peel?)
I've made this recipe for years, and I've always used more lemon and seasonings then called for in the recipe. I also agree with adding some lemon slices to the inside cavity along with the onion. I've gotten nothing but rave reviews over this dish.