Recipe by Logan 6
In an attempt to make 'lemon chicken' that many Chinese restaurants have, I came up with this recipe. It is distinctly different because I wanted a sauteed chicken, and one not swallowed in a syrupy sweet sauce. I would describe this dish as much better than the restaurant version.
- 3 tablespoons clearjel starch, in
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb chicken, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- sliced scallion (to garnish)
- 1 cup sliced tofu (optional)
- 2 cups cooked white rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Constitute ClearJel starch to a light syrup consistency (cornstarch might be used in a pinch), add remainder of sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Adjust sauce as desired with lemon/lime juice and sugar.
- In large saute pan, brown chicken over medium-hot heat until halfway done- approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots.
- A few minutes later, add mushrooms.
- Cook a few more minutes until chicken is done.
- Add in 1 cup of lemon ginger sauce, and mix well.
- Add more sauce to taste.
- Add diced tofu (if using) and mix gently.
- Plate Lemon ginger chicken over rice.
- Serve immediately.
- Variation: marinate chicken overnight in 1 cup of the sauce.