Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderfully rich and delicious lemon curd. The recipe comes from "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman. It's quite easy to make. It can be used to fill pies or tarts or to eat plain.
- Zest the lemons and juice the lemons.
- Combine the zest, juice, butter, and sugar and place in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
- Keeping the heat very low, cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened - 15 minutes or so.
- Do not let the mixture boil or the eggs will curdle.
- Strain the curd to get out large bits of zest and any bits of egg that scrambled into small bowls or jars.