Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was trying to improve on a lemon pie recipe when I had the bright idea of adding cream cheese. Hey, it worked and this is the result. You can always use a traditional graham cracker crust but this vanilla wafer crust is really yummy.
For the crust
- 20 vanilla wafers
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cold margarine
For the filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (or 1/2 C egg substitute)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (devided)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan with foil taking care to cover the lip of the pan.
- Crush the wafers and mix with flour and brown sugar. Cut in the margarine with a fork or pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs.
- Press into the bottom of your foil lined pan.
- Bake 15 minutes and cool.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs and flour and mix well. Add 1 T of the lemon zest, lemon juice and baking powder and blend.
- Pour mixture into cooled crust.
- Bake for 25 - 28 minutes until center is set.
- Cool, then refridgerate for 2 hours.
- Beforre serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest.
- You will be able to lift the squares out of the baking dish by gently lifi=ting out the foil before you cut into squares.