Prep 5 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is one of those desserts that everyone will ask how to make it. I know it may sound hard but it is so easy and oh so good. Enjoy and please let me know what you think. I have included in the prep time the chilling in the refrigerator.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk, return egg yolk mixture to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- In a small bowl combine flour and nuts.Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.Press into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth.Carefully spread over crust. Spread the cooled lemon mixture the cream cheese.
- In another bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low for 2 minutes beat in vanilla.Fold in half of the whipped topping.
- Spread this over the lemon mixture.Spread the remaining whipped topping over this.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- I try to make this at night so it has plenty of time to get cold and set.
Same as Recipe #151578. My crust fell apart so it was really hard to spread the cream cheese over it. The lemon mixture tasted funny. The vanilla pudding mixture tasted funny. Very time consuming for the end result. Maybe I needed fresh lemon juice or my cornstarch was too old. Maybe I needed butter instead of margarine or I cooked the crust 5 minutes too long.
Everyone loved this! It takes a bit of time, but is not difficult. One problem, my lemon mixture never set. I just scooped the dessert into bowls. Also, I topped it with fresh whipped cream instead of the last layer of cool whip. This could be rather addicting!!