Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
Serve these delicious scones warm with plenty of cold butter and strawberry preserves for a tasty tea time treat!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- lemon juice, for brushing
- Prehaet the oven to 400*F.
- Mix the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Mix the cream cheese and egg in a bowl until smooth. Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly. Stir into the flour mixture until the mixture forms a ball and leaves the side of the bowl.
- Drop by spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with lemon juice and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately from the baking sheet and serve warm.
I used the food processor to mix the dry ingredients with the butter. And then put the dough in a circle and cut in 8 pieces. Great taste and texture. Thanks Tasty Tidbits :) Made for all you can cook buffet
These are wonderful! (They don't even need any butter or jam on them!)
Delicious! I wondered how much lemon flavor they'd have with only a little zest in the actual scone, but they were really quite wonderful! I doubled the recipe as I was making this for work and needed more than eight. It was impossible to get all of the dry ingredients combined into the liquid so I had to add a little more milk... maybe another 1/4 cup. I rolled these out into a circle on a cutting board dusted with only the dry scone ingredients that weren't completely absorbed into the dough (two circles, actually, since I'd doubled the recipe) and then cut them into wedges like more traditional scones. Also, I ended up baking them 20 minutes in order to get them done (not sure if that's because I doubled the recipe or because I used an insulated cookie sheet, or my oven's a little off). Then I served them with balsamic strawberries -- my own take on strawberry shortcake. FANTASTIC!