Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are a handful of Mr. Food's creations my family loves. This is one of them! I like making this in the summer. Lemon and cream cheese equal summertime for me.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg and the oil; mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture.
- Lightly pat the remaining mixture into an ungreased 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium-sized bowl, beat together the remaining egg, the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until light and smooth. Spread over the baked layer.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture and bake for another 15 minutes, until light golden.
- Cool, then cut into squares.
I love just about anything with lemon and so does my wife as long as the lemon isn't overpowering. These were perfect for us. I didn't have a yellow cakemix in my pantry but I did have a white one with pudding. I can't wait to try it with a yellow mix. Thanks for posting !
I bought a cake mix especially for this recipe Chef on the Coast, as I always make my own cakes from scratch; but, I wanted to follow the recipe exactly! I made this as posted, and I must have made an error somewhere, as the cream cheese mixture sank to the bottom in the middle portion of my lemon squares, I did bake it initially for 15 minutes too! It STILL tasted wonderful however, and we enjoyed TWO slices with a cuppa tea after lunch today! Next time I will increase the lemon by at least 4 teaspoons, as we BOTH love lemon and it was not as lemony as we hoped. This was a light and tasty treat, a Sunday lunch treat and was enjoyed nevertheless! Many thanks, made for Aus/NZ recipe swap and a recipe that I will try again. FT:-) PS: this made 18 squares for me.