Spinach Cheese Squares
From the 1980 edition of The Philadelphia Orchestra Cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion, minced
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Pour melted butter into 9 X 13 baking dish and swirl around to cover sides.
- In medium bowl combine salt, pepper, baking powder and flour and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with milk. Add flour mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Add onion, cheese and spinach, mixing after each addition.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with pine nuts, if using.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool 45 minutes to set before cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- These may be frozen for future use. To freeze, place squares on cookie sheet. When frozen, transfer to a plastic bag. To reheat, bake at 165C/325F for 12 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A good classic, easy to make, always well received. Took these to a potluck and whamo, zippo, the plate was empty. To make the recipe lighter next time, I'm going to lightly grease the baking dish instead of using the melted butter. Although it contains dairy (used aged cheddar) I chose soy beverage for the cup of milk, just because that's what I had. Used about 4 or 5 tbsp of pine nuts to get enough spread across the squares. Thanks for posting!