These muffins are everything a lemon-blueberry-poppy-seed muffin should be. They have a little bite to them, but are still light and fluffy. This recipe is easily halved to make six muffins-- which I prefer, as muffins are best fresh and I can't get through a full batch of twelve by myself. I like a lot of poppy seeds in my muffins. If you don't, I would recommend cutting the amount down to 1 tablespoon. If you like a sweeter muffin, it's okay to up the sugar by 1/3 cup. If you're trying to go the other direction and get them less sweet, I would proceed cautiously, as I have already cut back from the amount of sugar the base recipe used. However, if you do reduce the sugar further, please post your results in the comments! You don't have to use Greek yogurt-- regular or low-fat yogurt will work, or even sour cream if you want to be a little more decadent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (sour cream, regular, or low-fat yogurt are also acceptable)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12-muffin tin with liners, or by greasing.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the flour, poppy seeds, salt, and baking soda.
- 3In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the lemon zest, yogurt, and vanilla.
- 4Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, and mix lightly. It's okay if it's not fully mixed together yet.
- 5Add the blueberries. Stir until everything is combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- 6Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Carefully remove muffins from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.5
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 115.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of