Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An old Finnish recipe that produces a delicate, slightly crumbly cake with a lovely, mild lemon flavour. This is the original recipe - I sometimes add 1/2 ts of lemon extract and 1 ts of vanilla for deeper flavour.
- Preheat oven to 165 C; grease and flour a 1 1/2 litre cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon juice, stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine all-purpose flour, potato starch and baking powder; sift the flour mixture onto the butter mixture, stir to combine.
- Add chopped lemon balm, stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for a while; after inverting the cake, rinse the cake pan, dry it and place back on the cake. Allow the covered cake to cool completely.
Lemon Balm was the first plant to pop out in my herb garden this spring so I was very happy to have a use for it (other than as a garnish for iced tea). This is both a pretty and delicious cake. It would be nice with afternoon tea or a bridal shower. I did as you suggested and added lemon extract and vanilla. Wonderful cake stormylee!!