Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love to find things that don't have to be baked and are still delicious. This was given to me by my sister in law many (oh-so-many) years ago. You'll need a 7 or 8 inch spring form pan. This delicious dessert has a texture more like custard then cheesecake. Time does not inclued chilling. Note: The 1 2/3 cups of evaporated milk is slightly more then a 12oz can. I just added regular milk to bring it to 1 2/3.
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin
- 1⁄2 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups canned applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs or 2 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Chill evaporated milk.
- Mix lemon gelatin and unflavored gelatin.
- Add boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Allow to cool.
- In separate bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in apple sauce, vanilla and cooled gelatin mixture.
- Chill until mixture is well thickened.
- Make crust (see below).
- Whip thickened apple-gelatin mix while gradually adding chilled milk.
- Continue whipping after blended until very light and fluffy and about doubled in volume.
- Put into crust.
- Sprinkle top with remaining nuts or chocolate sprinkles as I did.
- Chill until well set at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Grease spring form pan.
- mix crumbs, brown sugar, melted butter, and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
- Press crumb mixture firmly into bottom and about 2 inches up on sides of greased spring form pan.
I added this cheesecake-y dessert to my cheesecake cookbook because of its wonderful flavors and delicious taste. The day after I made this I found out CoolMonday had just passed away. This and all her recipes are a wonderful addition to anyone's cookbook.
This makes a lovely light summer dessert, not nearly as heavy as a usual cheesecake. I made half of the recipe in a deep 16 cm pan with a removable bottom. I decided to make a small cake because there were only two diners, but am now regretting that I didn't make a larger one. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.