1/1 Photo of Leek & Delicata Squash Soup With Caramelized Apple Croutons
1 hr 15 mins
This velvety soup pairs the gentle flavor of sauteed leeks with sweet, roasted squash. Topped with a dollop of sour cream and a few caramelized apple croutons, it embodies everything cozy about autumn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, white and tender green parts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 2 1/2 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- sour cream, if desired (to garnish) (optional)
- 1 tart green apple, of your choosing
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly and gently scrape or cut squash away from skin (delicata skin is edible, but not tasty in this dish). Set aside.
- 2Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add leeks and thyme and stir occasionally until soft and brown, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the stock and the squash and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the soup directly in the pot until smooth. (Alternatively, puree the soup in batches in a standard blender or food processor).
- 3Season with salt and pepper & top with sour cream and caramelized apple croutons
- 4To make the croutons:.
- 5Peel and core apple and halve lengthwise. Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, cut apple into very thin slices. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread one layer of apple slices on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake slices for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until crisp.
- 6Transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek & Delicata Squash Soup With Caramelized Apple Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.3
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 461.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: