Chef #856545's Note:
This is a family favorite!!! It's based on my mom's recipe (LeAnn), who unfortunately, took it to her grave. Through trial and error, I came up with my own version. She used russett potatos, but I like white potatoes because they hold their shape. The key to this recipe is salad dressing instead of mayo. I also use lots of eggs. I cut the potatoes into quarter inch cubes so you don't bite into a large bland tasting potato chunk. This is a great side dish for BBQ and is best if made a day ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs white potatoes (6-medium sized)
- 2 cups salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup celery (finely chopped, about 2-stalks)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped (1-medium sized onion)
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 14 eggs, hard boiled, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1Place potatoes (unpealed) into a Dutch oven, add water to cover, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until just tender. Dain well and cool slightly. Peel and cube potatoes into quarter inch cubes.
- 2Place eggs in a single layer in a medium sauce pan. Add cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring to boil on high heat. Turn down heat so water is just below simmering. Cover and cook for 15 minutes; drain. Run eggs unter cold water or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain.
- 3Meanwhile, for the dressing, in a large mixing bowl, combine the salad dressing, mustard, 2-teaspoons paprika, 1-1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Add finely chopped onion and celery, along with sweet pickle relish. Mix well.
- 4Add cubed potatoes and chopped eggs and toss lightly to coat. Spoon mixture into a 9x13 inches glass casserole, and even out the top with the back side of a spoon. Sprinkle generously with paprika.
- 5Cover and chill potato salad for at least 6 hours before serving. It is best served the next day.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leann's Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 270.9 mg
- Sodium 912.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 10.8 g