Recipe by TXOLDHAM
This is adapted from Cooking Light. It still has 12.3 g total fat and 56 mg cholesterol and is a little high in sodium (942 mg) but worth the splurge occasionally.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces light processed cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons low sodium beef broth
- 12 ounces low-sodium deli roast beef, thinly sliced
- 4 hot dog buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion bell peppers, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Reduce heat and continue to cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, oregano, vinegar and salt. Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Combine the beef broth and sliced beef in a bowl and microwave until hot.
- Place 3 ounces beef mixture in each bun and top with cheese mixture. Serve immediately.