Philly Cheesesteak (The Way I Remember It)
- Ready In:
- 1 lb thinly sliced rib eye steaks or 1 lb deli roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 large bermuda onion, diced on the large side not sliced (if you like onions use the 2)
- 9 slices American cheese
- 3 hoagie rolls, 12-inch
- ketchup or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, preferably
- Large dice the onions and set them aside earlier in the day; covered with a paper towel.
- Pour the peanut oil into a large hot stainless steel fry pan. Quickly saute the onions tossing them often until they become slightly translucent and tinged with brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same hot pan add some of the meat (not all; it will sweat and release too much liquid) and roughly tear apart with two forks. When nicely browned remove and keep warm. Continue to do all the meat.
- Slice the hoagie buns (make sure they are really fresh. To get them sllightly crispy leave them early in the day uncovered) and place 1/3 of the meat in each. Top evenly with the cheese. Distribute the cooked onions and place in 300 degree oven on a baking pan until cheese is melted.
- You have the options of using either ketchup or a marinara sauce.
Join The Conversation
Made for Fall '09 PAC. Well...DH would take a bite then say, "This is wonderful." Take a bite, say "This is really good." Take a bite...you get the picture. He was totally blown away with this Cheesesteak. We used Marinara as our topping. The sandwich was MORE than a meal. Will definitely make again. Thank you so much for sharing!!! P.S. DH would say "Thank You" but he's in Cheesesteak Heaven right now.