Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cooks like a casserole, tastes like a lasagna! This simple recipe takes out the complication of gourmet lasagnas and serves your family in less than an hour with the same great taste.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 32 ounces prepared spaghetti sauce (I have used Prego or made my own)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can spinach
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, about 8 slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Prepare water to boil and pre-grease a deep casserole dish.
- Brown beef, onions and garlic in a medium sized sauce pan (if you don't like your onions a tad crisp, saute your onions and garlic until soft, prior to adding the beef).
- Add spaghetti sauce AND spinach to the beef, onion and garlic; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350, and add noodles to boiling water and cook until al dante.
- Drain noodles and return to pot.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the noodles, RESERVING two or so cups, and mix thoroughly. Set remaining sauce aside.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into the pre-greased casserole dish, layer with 6 slices of provolone cheese, pour in the remaining pasta, break the remaining provolone into pieces, layer, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Finally, pour on the reserved sauce.
- Bake, covered, on 350 for 35 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
This would be a good replacement for lasagna! I made a couple of changes. I used 2 pounds of extra lean ground turkey and I also used fresh spinach that I chopped. We don't like canned spinach but fresh is wonderful! I think that if you start with a good, flavorful sauce, you shouldn't need any extra spices. I didn't have to or feel the need to add anything extra. I served this with garlic cheese bread and Sensational but Simple Salad. It made a terrific and very filling meal. Thanks so much for posting! Made for PAC Spring '09.
I love the concept of this recipe and madeit as listed.However the sauce was VERY Bland. You list no salt, pepper Itl. seasoning etc. I realy had to do a lot of adding to get out taste buds exited. I added: Salt, red pepper flakes, bay leaf,2 tsp. Itl. seasoning, Worcertershire sauce and chopped flat leaf parsley.I will definately use this recipe again with the above additions. Thanks for posting.