1 hr 45 mins
This recipe was given to our family about 20 years ago and it goes very well with the vegetarian gravy from recipe 243433. This recipe is an excellent roast to have for a Christmas dinner. Most meat eaters will try it and proclaim they like it more than the turkey! I have often made double and frozen it to be used later on as it is a little long to make. Substitute the fresh herbs for half the amount of dried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225 g cashew nuts
- 110 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed in a little butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon vegemite
- 150 ml hot water or 150 ml stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 25 g butter
- 225 g mushrooms, chopped
- butter, for greasing tin
- 1Pre-heat the oven at 180 Celsius.
- 2Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- 3Grind the cashew nuts in a nut mill, blender or mincer until they are in small pieces. Don't go too far. You don't want them in a powder.
- 4Mix the cashew nuts with the breadcrumbs.
- 5Beat the egg and add to the dry ingredients.
- 6Mix in the mashed parsnips and herbs.
- 7Add the fried, be sure to scrape the pan so that all the juices go in as this will help keep the nut roast moist.
- 8Dissolve the vegemite in the hot water or stock and add to the other ingredients. Season well.
- 9Melt the butter in a frying pan and saute the chopped mushrooms until soft.
- 10Grease a 900g loaf tin with butter and put in half the nut mixture. Cover with a layer of mushrooms and add the rest of the nut mixture.
- 11Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
- 12When cooked, remove from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before turning it out.
- 13Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Cashew and Mushroom Nut Roast
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.3
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.9 mg
- Sodium 454.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: