Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 3 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 onion, minced
- black pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes with a grater or food processor.
- (You can grate them into a bowl of salted water to keep them from discoloring. Otherwise they discolor about as fast as you can grate them, although it doesn't hurt anything if you use them right away). Drain off all liquid, and squeeze the excess liquid out by hand.
- (Do this even if you don't soak them in the salted water.) Beat the eggs and mix with the grated potatoes and other ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium high heat until very hot.
- Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoons into oil (about 4 at a time).
- Use a pancake turner to flatten them out.
- Fry to golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve topped with applesauce or sour cream.
Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes. No peeling, grating soaking, or drying required. Done in 10 minutes! Yummy recipe though.
This recipe halves well for my family of 4. I made them small, as my husband likes them crispy, but no mush inside, and they turned out perfect. Highly reccomended recipe!!
would give this 10 starts if I could! I grated the onion, and I felt like that made the texture better, and we got a really great onion flavor. The last 2 were fought over, I will be making this again, and again.