- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes with a grater or food processor.
- (You can grate them into a bowl of salted water to keep them from discoloring. Otherwise they discolor about as fast as you can grate them, although it doesn't hurt anything if you use them right away). Drain off all liquid, and squeeze the excess liquid out by hand.
- (Do this even if you don't soak them in the salted water.) Beat the eggs and mix with the grated potatoes and other ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium high heat until very hot.
- Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoons into oil (about 4 at a time).
- Use a pancake turner to flatten them out.
- Fry to golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve topped with applesauce or sour cream.