Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light October 2003
Top Review by Lynne Cooks
I received kale, potatoes and leeks in my organic veggie delivery and knew I wanted to make soup. I tried this one and it was fantastic. My whole family loved it. I used veggie broth instead of bouillon, but no other "swaps." My husband loved that it was hearty and the broth was delicious. Thanks for posting!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leeks (about 2 large)
- 2 cups cubed baking potatoes
- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced kale
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek and potato; cook 8 minutes or until leek is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/3 cup water, kale, rice, salt, thyme, pepper, and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining 4 2/3 cups water and bouillon cubes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups).