Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich, creamy lasagne (yummy!)
- 6 ounces lasagna noodles
- 200 g mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 ounces streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 lb minced beef
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 5 fluid ounces stock or 5 fluid ounces wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 pint milk
- Making the meat sauce:.
- 1. Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes, add bacon and minced beef stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes, until mince is browned.
- Stir in the stock or wine, tomatos, puree, herbs, nutmeg and season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-10 minutes.
- Making the bechamel sauce:.
- Melt butter and stir in flour.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring to make a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 200C, 400F or Gas 6.
- Grease a shallow ovenproof dish and make layers of the bechamel sauce, lasagne, meat sauce and mozzerella slices, ending with a layer of bechamel to completely cover the top.
- Sprinkly with parmesan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden.
Since I'm not a big fan of the making of this kind of dish, I did follow the recipe right on down & was pleased with the results, which was another main dish I shared with some neighbors! For us it definitely made enough for 6 & then some ~ Very filling, very satisfying! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current round of Pick A Chef]