Recipe by Sharlene~W
I couldn't believe how easy and tasty this recipe is. I love the half-melted pieces of cheese in the soup! This is from Cuisine at Home.
Top Review by djphonegirl
My son and I enjoyed this soup very much. It was tasty and went very well with a loaf of Italian bread. I changed two things in the recipe: I used DICED tomatoes instead of stewed (personally, I think diced are much better for soups because they are smaller) and I also used a frozen block of spinach instead of fresh and it thawed out beautifully and added a nice green to the soup.
- 453.59 g bulk Italian sausage
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml garlic, minced
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 411.06 g can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 304.75 g can tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml mafalda pasta or 236.59 ml campenelle pasta
- 473.18 ml fresh spinach, chopped
- 236.59 ml provolone cheese or 236.59 ml fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- 19.71 ml thinly sliced fresh basil (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.
- Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Place 1/4 cup cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.